Monday, April 25, 2011

Them Dirty Dogs!

Yesterday morning as Sequoia sat on the couch rubbing the sleep from her eyes, I mentioned, "Wow kiddo, your feet sure are dirty...."  She extended her legs out in front of her and gave her blackened, smudged, and calloused dogs an evaluating look - similar to how someone might examine a new pair of shoes.  She smiled and said, "I know.  Aren't they beautiful?  They're just how I like them to be."

Have I mentioned how much I love my kids?

Saturday marked the most looked forward to celebration in our neck of the woods each year.  Olympia's Arts Walk and Procession of the Species.  It is a wonderful grassroots parade and celebration that truly brings the community together.

Arts Walk actually happens twice each year, once in the spring and once in the fall.  It's a city wide honoring of local artists and businesses.  All the locally owned businesses downtown open their walls and spaces up to artists (of any age - my kids have had lots of artwork up in the past) to display their work.  All the streets of downtown are closed down for the evening and it becomes one huge street party.

Procession of the Species is a parade honoring the earth and life on this planet.  It is a completely community based, grassroots event.  Seven weeks prior to the event, a non-profit organization opens up a community art studio where anyone can go to create, create, create!  They offer workshops and arts and craft supplies galore so that anyone who wishes to may build whatever their imagination can conjure.  There are floats, costumes, dance troups, puppets, marching bands, drum circles... you name it, it's probably represented.  Wikipedia actually has a pretty good description and history of the event here.

Here is a video from this year's 17th annual Procession of the Species.  Enjoy!



Many of the people in the procession are friends and folks that I work with.  So fun to watch them in their glory!  I'd post some photos, but my computer is having problems uploading.  Maybe soon?

I'm anxiously whiling away the minutes until an unexpected root canal after a long weekend of pain.  Ugh!  Good thing the procession and a visit with friends gave me some joyful distraction!  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment