Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hazel Weaving

It's a quiet morning here on the homestead.  We're all fighting a cold, which seems to put a gentle hush on everything.... Cedar is still sleeping, Sequoia is practicing spelling while her pumpkin bread bakes in the oven.  And I get to sit here in a quiet house with my hot cup of coffee!
Sequoia is having a matching cup of "coffee" with me this morning
Yesterday was pretty busy since the sun made several peek-a-boo appearances throughout the day.  My favorite project was working on a woven fence to protect these guys



from this guy.

beloved hound - squisher of freshly worked beds
We are coppicing hazels and maples for their suckers to use as trellises and fencing.  The hazel, in particular, is really fun to use because of its crooked branches.  They zig-zag like lightening bolts.  Plus, they are really pliable and flexible, making them both easy and pretty to use.  So... after feeding the asparagus some compost and interplanting broccoli and lettuce among the spears, I tried my hand at my first woven hazel fence.  My initial pass at it did not go quite as smoothly as I had hoped.  I placed the "posts" too far apart to have it be structurally sound.  I hope to work on it some more today if the rain holds off.  Stay tuned for photos of the finished product.

Cedar just woke up and the bread just came out of the oven, so I need to hop to other things....  More on the fence, homeschooling and the solarium coming soon!

1 comment:

  1. I can smell the bread and taste the coffee ..just like being there!! Love it.. can't wait to see the fence..have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete