Thursday, April 21, 2011

Super Spring Tonic Tea

The world's greatest spring tonic tea:    
  • roasted dandelion root
  • roasted burdock root
  • nettle leaves
  • calendula flowers
  • oat tops
  • licorice root 
This tea is both delicious and nutritious!  It is has a deep earthy flavor sweetened delightfully by the licorice root.  I mix the herbs in equal quantities (sometimes a little more nettles for an extra boost or extra oat tops for a little more calming tea) and then scoop about 2 tablespoons into a stainless steel pot.  I pour about a quart of cold water over the herbs, bring the mixture up to boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.  I allow the tea to decoct for 20 minutes or so, then remove from the heat and keep covered for about 5 to 10 more minutes.  Strain off the herbs and transfer the tea into a quart-sized mason jar.  The liquid has reduced and concentrated the herbs quite a bit over the course of the decoction, so throughout the day when I want a fresh hot cup, I simply pour some tea from the jar into a cup and add freshly boiled water until I get my desired temperature and tea strength.  I love this tea and have been drinking it frequently since spring began popping up all around me!

(Anyone who may try this recipe please note that licorice root is not recommended for those very high blood pressure, dandelion root should be used with caution for those with gallstones, and nettles act as diuretic and can, therefore, lower blood pressure.  As with all herbs, please consider your own body and wellbeing and always use with respect and caution.)

2 comments:

  1. Oh! How wonderful. I have a stock of roasted burdock and roasted dandelion root that I foraged last season. This is just how I will use it!

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been to your blog before and was really interested in it, but then all the wood came up. Now I can't see the words! It's a beautiful blog and you look like someone I would like to read about. But would be great to be able to read it.

    ReplyDelete