Thursday, April 18, 2013

Clinging



Poor little man is in a very mama-centric clingy phase.  Wants all sorts of mama, however he can get it.  It’s making me crazy, but I’m trying to remember that it’s temporary.  It too shall pass… and I should love it up - all the clinging - while I’ve got it.  Someday, after all, he might tell me to talk to the hand.

Yes. This will, in fact, pass.  It just takes time.  Once again, in the very near future, he will evolve through this developmental milestone and feel more secure in the world.  He will not need to wrap his body around my calves, wailing and looking desperately up at me while I attempt to cook… every. single. time.  He will not throw himself to the ground sobbing anytime I leave (even momentarily) the room.  He will not beg to be held constantly, pointing and saying, “Ah!”, at everything he sees forever.  This is temporary.  And, I too can adapt.  I do not need to feel so frustrated, like I can’t even breathe on my own, let alone get something done.  I can take deep breaths in the moments of tightening throat and clenching jaw.  I can use that breath to guide my energy down, to bring my awareness and attention to the small and developing being in my arms, to remind me to slow down and take it all in stride.  

 Look closely at him, mama.  Hug him a little tighter, mama.  

He will not be little forever.  He will not need me like he does now for much longer at all, in fact.  Soon, very soon, his words will come to him.  His, “ah, ah, ah”, will shift, and like magic, carefully chosen words will spill out in their place.  He will tell me with unwavering certainty what, exactly, it is that he wants or needs.  His desire to be held will become less and less as his curiosity to explore the world around him grows more and more.  And, as the ground settles from this developmental earthquake that is rocking his world right now and the pieces fall into place, I will find standing before me a boy… no longer a baby.  A big boy, ready to take on the world.   

Now, mama, the question is… are you ready to let go?

4 comments:

  1. Sigh. That's so beautiful! I know exactly this feeling of being annoyed when your little one is clinging to your every step. It's not long ago that my son only accepted me and nobody else to hold him, dress him, comfort him, but yes..looking back it was such a short phase. He will be two soon and these days he is going back and forth between a newly found independence and coming back to sit on my lap to watch the world from a safe place.
    Thank you so much for your lovely post and reminding me how precious every one of those phases are!!
    ~ Love, Halina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Halina,
      They do grow up so fast, don't they? It's so good to slow down and enjoy right where they are at in this moment.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful!
    Sigh, I have been here too, I remember so vividly telling myself the same things you are! Now my littlest will be three in a few months and those are distant memories, which I find myself longing for, just a bit.
    What a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Melanie,
      Yes, my oldest is almost 13 and it amazes me that it's really been that long since he was at this stage in his life. Time is a funny thing! Feels like just yesterday and ancient history at the same time!
      And... thanks! Jade is a cutie pie for sure! He gets me with those love eyes a thousand times every day!

      Delete