Monday, January 16, 2012

Snuggling In

Hunkering down and snuggling in is what life seems to be all about these last few weeks.  Both kids have been sick with a head/chest cold that just won't quit and Steve and I have been cleaning and organizing fools.  We seem to have no desire what-so-ever to leave the homestead.  We'd all just very much prefer to stay cozied up to the fire tending to the needs of health and home.  And that suits me just fine.

We are being blessed with a beautiful winter storm at the moment that is greatly adding to the mood.  The world outside my door is white, fluffy and magical.  There is nothing that brings a sense of quiet and peace to my world quite like snowfall.  I absolutely love it.

And this is where I have been spending much of my time during this storm:


Our nearly finished solarium!  I can't tell you how good it feels to have this project almost complete.... It has been a long time in the making.  The tree fell and smashed the original structure in three years ago!  I can't believe it has been that long.  All that's left is finishing work, but the structure itself is complete.  And what a cozy, lovely spot it is!  The woodstove heats it pretty well and it is so nice to have a spot to chill that is surrounded by windows and feels like we're outside, especially in the grey of winter.  I am really looking forward to getting the finishing work done and officially checking this project off my list!  Woot!  Woot!

Yes, quiet and mellow most definitely are the words of the day today.  Elderberries are simmering on the stove for another round of elderberry syrup for those coughing kiddos, fires are crackling in both woodstoves, snow is falling thickly and silently outside, the baby in my belly is moving less and less as it settles in for birth, and my mind and body ease more deeply into the slower rhythms needed for the transitions ahead.  I am very thankful for the opportunity this winter cold and storm have given me to slow down and snuggle in.

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely view! I remember how winter storms were actually calming when I lived near the US/Canadian border. I loved just watching the snowflakes falling. Sometimes Nature reminds us to slow down and be still.
    Enjoy a warm cuppa and that woodstove today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks absolutely lovely.

    I dream of a woodstove. One day.

    amelia from hks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, the space you have created is most beautiful. I would spend my whole life in that room if I could! I spent my day in the patch of sunlight on my floor today - and it was most amazing!
    I am glad you are writing again, I haven't read your blog for a long time - and today popped over just to see.....

    oh my gosh - and you are pregnant! Not only pregnant - you are DUE! Oh lovely woman, I wish you such a beautiful birth. I so, so, so hope you continue writing. I love your photos and your words. Pure beauty.
    love, Kiersten

    ReplyDelete